We are pleased to announce that the call for papers is now open for the next Current Research in Egyptology (CRE) to be held at the University of Liverpool, United Kingdom from 2 – 6 September 2024.
CRE 2024 is a collaboration between students from:
– University of Liverpool
– University of Birmingham
– University of Wales Trinity Saint David
– Swansea University
– University of Oxford
What is CRE?
CRE aims to give early career researchers a platform to
present their completed and/or ongoing research to an
audience of peers. We welcome abstracts from all aspects
of Egyptology and Nubiology, including, but not limited to:
– Administration and Daily Life
– Art History
– Cultural Contact
– Diversity and Intersectionality
– Reception Studies and Egyptomania
– History of Egyptology
– Interdisciplinary and Cross-disciplinary Methodologies
– Linguistics, Language, and Literature
– Museum and Private Collections
– Mythology and Religion
– Theory of Egyptology
This year’s CRE will provide three different presentation formats:
1. Standard presentation – 20-minute presentation,
2. Short presentation – 10-minute presentation,
plus discussion. These talks are recommended for work
in progress topics or exploratory papers.
3. Poster presentation – Poster displayed in the
foyer of the event location with a dedicated poster
Submit an abstract
Abstracts can be submitted through the Submit an
– Abstracts should not exceed 300 words.
– Abstract titles should not exceed 30 words.
– The official language of the conference is English.
We strongly encourage in-person participation to facilitate
In the application form, you should note the desired
format of your presentation. This should include if you
wish to present digitally or in-person. Please note that
the number of online presentations will be limited.
Abstracts are anonymously reviewed by an external
– 17 January 2024: Deadline for abstract submissions.
– Late March 2024: Notification of acceptance.
– 10 May 2024: Registration deadline.
– May – June 2024: recommended start of VISA procedure
for participants who require it (check if you need a VISA
to come to the UK, by visiting www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa);
please make sure to set an appointment for biometrics
taking at a Visa application centre in your country as
soon as you can.
– August 2024: Late Registration deadline.
We will keep people informed over the coming months
with information about CRE in Liverpool. This will
contain more information about registration fees
and Liverpool as a conference destination.
Applying for a visa
The CRE Organising Committee is working to ensure
support for all participants who need to apply for
For Egyptian nationals, a Standard Visitor Visa is required:
– Length of stay: up to 6 months
– Cost: £115 (GBP). We intend to subsidise some of
– When to apply: the earliest that you can apply is
3 months before you travel. This means that for CRE,
this will be in June 2024.
For further details, please see Visit the UK as a
*Please be aware*, you will receive more information in
the circulars about visa applications.
If you have questions about visas and costs, please email